Here’s what we know so far …
* Officials offered no casualty count, but a witness said several people appeared to have been killed or wounded.
We can confirm that the explosion near the Abbey Gate of the Kabul airport has resulted in an unknown number of cas… https://t.co/EXkV5RcRUA
— John Kirby (@PentagonPresSec) 1629988498000
* A Taliban official said that at least 13 people have been killed, including children.
* Russia said a second explosion also went off outside Kabul airport.
* Pentagon said the explosion at the Abbey Gate was the result of a complex attack that resulted in a number of US and civilian casualties. It also confirmed another explosion at or near the Baron Hotel, a short distance from Abbey Gate.
* France President Emmanuel Macron said the situation is extremely tense around the airport. He said talks are under way with Taliban on the issue.
* The UK government has called a crisis meeting in the wake of the airport explosion.
Several countries had urged people to avoid the airport earlier in the day, with one saying there was a threat of a suicide bombing.
But just days – or even hours for some nations – before the evacuation effort ends, few appeared to heed the call.
Over the last week, the airport has been the scene of some of the most searing images of the chaotic end of America‘s longest war and the Taliban’s takeover, as flight after flight took off carrying those who fear a return to the militants’ brutal rule.
(With inputs from agencies)